Who are you?
Hi! My name is Agata Skamruk, and I've been deeply involved in the Polish and international tech community for years. Based in Gdańsk, I combine my passion for programming with education, IT event organizing, and fostering an open, inclusive environment for developers.
What I Do:
- Education & Teaching: I work as an IT and programming teacher at Zespół Szkół Chłodniczych i Elektronicznych in Gdynia. I also create programming recruitment assessments and help students comfortably grasp core concepts in mathematics, physics, and computer science.
- Python Community: My main ecosystem of choice is Python. I previously served as President of the Polish Python User Group (PLPUG), co-organized PyLadies Poland, and founded regional communities such as PyKosz and PyLadies Trójmiasto.
- IT Events: I am the founder and lead organizer of the PyCode Conference, and I've co-organized major events including PyCon PL, PyData Warsaw, and EuroPython over the years. In 2026, I had the honor of running as a candidate for the Python Software Foundation (PSF) Board of Directors.
- Tech & Media: I manage OSWorld.pl—an open-source technology news platform—and head Code Squat as CEO. My project and research work also covers natural language processing (NLP) and machine learning.
I bridge the gap between software development, technical education, and diversity advocacy for women in tech.
What would you bring to the PSF Board of Directors?
Running for the Python Software Foundation Board of Directors, my focus centers on strengthening community accessibility, expanding technical education, and building sustainable, diverse local ecosystems globally.
Core Qualifications & Vision:
- Community Leadership & Governance: Former President of the Polish Python User Group (PLPUG) and founder of PyKosz and PyLadies Trójmiasto. Organizer for major events including EuroPython, PyCon PL, PyData Warsaw, and PyCode Conference. I bring a practical understanding of non-profit operations and volunteer support.
- Education & Workforce Development: As a Computer Science educator, I have direct insight into entry-level programming education. Experienced in designing recruitment assessments and curricula, I bridge community learning with industry standards through hands-on mentorship.
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI): Leadership in PyLadies Poland and Women in Technology, creating inclusive spaces for women and underrepresented groups. I advocate for regional access, grants, and support for emerging global Python communities.
- Practical Engineering & Open Source: Combining software engineering experience (Python, Django, Flask) with open-source advocacy (OSWorld.pl), I align high-level Board decisions with the real-world needs of developers.
What motivated you to run for the PSF Board of Directors?
I would like to collaborate in these groups because they combine all the key areas to which I have dedicated my energy within the local and global Python community for years.
Working in the Code of Conduct and Diversity and Inclusion groups allows me to ensure safety, openness, and equal opportunities for everyone, which is the foundation of a healthy community.
At the same time, engaging in Education & Outreach and Grants gives me the opportunity to directly support education, share my teaching experience on a broader scale, and strategically back initiatives and local leaders through financial support.
Acting across these structures is a chance for me to comprehensively develop the Python ecosystem—from attracting and educating new talents and maintaining high ethical standards, to having a real impact on how the community grows worldwide.
What problem or challenge do you want to address if you are on the board?
The Challenge: Gender Imbalance at Python Conferences
The low representation of women among speakers and attendees remains a critical issue. This stems from a high barrier to entry, a lack of visible role models, and the vicious cycle of low CfP submissions from women, which reinforces the perception of a male-dominated field.
My Commitment on the PSF Board
Leveraging my experience leading PyLadies Poland and Women in Technology, I will actively drive changes to solve this:
- Targeted CfP Outreach: I will implement proactive recruitment and mentorship programs to help women prepare talk proposals, building their confidence to step on stage.
- Building Inclusive Local Spaces: I will support community initiatives that provide safe, growth-fostering environments for first-time speakers and emerging tech leaders.
- Enforcing Safety Standards: I will collaborate on standardizing and enforcing robust Codes of Conduct and anti-discrimination procedures across all PSF-funded events.
By breaking down entry barriers and establishing plug-and-play safety tools, I will help ensure our stage representation reflects the true diversity of our global ecosystem.
Where do you see the PSF 5 years from now?
Consistent implementation of anti-discrimination procedures and diversity systems will drive a profound transformation. Here is how I see the role of the PSF and the future of our community over the next five years:
- Natural Diversity on Stage: I envision conferences where proactive speaker recruitment and blind CfP reviews are standard practice. Moving toward gender balance will bring fresh technical perspectives and attract a broader audience.
- Plug-and-Play Safety Standards: I want safety procedures embedded into the DNA of every PSF-supported event. Proven CoC templates and trained Response Teams will lower incident rates, making ours the safest community in tech.
- Rise of Women Leaders and Technical Authorities: By championing mentorship programs and expanding initiatives like PyLadies, I will help women and underrepresented groups step into decision-making and technical leadership roles making visible role models in open source and boards completely natural.
- Maturity Built on Global-Local Collaboration: I see close cooperation between local groups and the PSF to build scalable best practices. We will make the Python ecosystem a global benchmark, proving that inclusivity and top-tier technical quality go hand in hand.
What areas of the Python community are you involved with?
Here is an overview of my key areas of involvement, leadership, and community-building within the Python ecosystem:
National Leadership & Governance
- Polish Python User Group (PLPUG): Served as President (now former President) and active board member, helping steer the formal organization of the Polish Python community.
- Python Software Foundation (PSF): Active contributor and board election candidate, aligning local Polish initiatives with global Python standards and safety policies.
Conferences & Major Events
- PyCode Conference: Founder and main organizer of this prominent conference dedicated to the Python community, focusing on advancing technical skills, sharing best practices, and driving diversity.
- PyCon PL: Co-organizer of early landmark editions (PyCon PL 2015 and 2016).
- International Involvement: Program committee contributions for global events like PyData Global and PyCon US, as well as co-organizing efforts surrounding major European milestones like EuroPython.
Diversity, Inclusion & Local Chapter Building
- PyLadies Poland & Regional Hubs: Instrumental in founding and driving local initiatives—including establishing PyLadies Trójmiasto and founding PyKosz (Koszalin Python User Group)—to foster inclusive spaces for underrepresented groups in tech.
- Cross-Community Collaboration: Partnering with broader networks like Women in Technology to advocate for inclusive cultures and support new developers entering the industry.
------
Note from the election administrators:
Want to learn more about this candidate or ask them a question?
Check out their nomination statement.
Check out their AMA thread on discuss.python.org.
