Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Petr Andreev: 2026 PSF Board Election Candidate Interview

Who are you?

I am a Python educator, CPython-internals specialist, community organizer, and international Python speaker.

I teach Advanced Python and CPython internals, from memory management and interpreter architecture to free-threading and performance. My work increasingly focuses on turning technical education into real-world participation: research, open-source contribution, conference speaking, and leadership.

Before focusing on Python, I helped build an educational community of roughly 2,500 participants. I assembled an organizing team, secured external funding, and developed partnerships with companies, an endowment, and other organizations to support courses, competitions, speakers, and community programs.

These experiences shaped the model behind much of my work:
develop developers → develop contributors → develop community leaders.

What would you bring to the PSF Board of Directors?

I would bring experience building organizations and systems around technical communities.

I have worked on both sides of community development: developing individuals through education and mentorship, and building the infrastructure around them through organizing teams, institutional partnerships, external funding, events, and opportunities to lead.

I also bring an unusual combination of technical depth and community-building experience. I can communicate with CPython contributors about implementation-level problems, with educators about developing new talent, and with institutions and companies about partnerships and resources.

My international work across Europe and Asia gives me another useful perspective: the ability to listen across communities, identify problems that repeat across regions, and connect people who have already developed solutions.

What motivated you to run for the PSF Board of Directors?

One of the PSF’s strategic goals resonates particularly strongly with me: Develop the Next Generation of Python Developers.

I have spent years experimenting with this problem on a smaller scale and have seen students progress from learning advanced Python to researching its internals, contributing upstream, and presenting their work publicly.

I now want to work on the system behind that progression.

The PSF is uniquely positioned to connect communities, educational institutions, employers, sponsors, maintainers, and contributors. I am running because I believe these connections can make participation in Python easier to discover and more sustainable over the long term.

What problem or challenge do you want to address if you are on the Board?

Contributor retention.

Python attracts enormous numbers of users, but converting initial interest into years of meaningful contribution is much harder.

Open-source contribution competes with paid work, family, and other demands on people’s time. The question I want to work on is: how can the PSF make sustained contribution easier and more rewarding?

I would explore clearer contributor pathways, mentorship infrastructure, recognition, funded contributor time, and partnerships with employers and educational institutions.
I would also measure whether these mechanisms actually work: repeat contributions, retention, mentorship activity, increasing responsibility, and long-term participation.
The PSF does not govern CPython technically, but it can help create conditions in which contributors and maintainers are more able to stay.

------

Note from the election administrators: 

Want to learn more about this candidate or ask them a question? 

Check out their nomination statement.

Check out their AMA thread on discuss.python.org.