Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Georgi Ker: 2026 PSF Board Election Candidate Interview

Who are you?

Hi, I’m Georgi, an independent entrepreneur, open source community organiser, and leader. I’m also a PSF Fellow and a recipient of the PSF Community Service Award.

Although I currently live in Amsterdam, I am proud to represent communities across Asia. I have served on the PSF Board since 2023. I also helped design PyCon US branding and websites since 2022 and for other open source community events and projects as well.

My contributions to the Python community span over many years, beginning mainly in Asia and becoming more international over time. Much of my work sits where people, governance, and community meet.

I care especially about the people doing the quiet work that keeps open source communities alive. They may not always be on the main stage, but the community would not exist without them.

What would you bring to the PSF Board of Directors?

Three years on the Board have taught me where the PSF is strong, where it is fragile, and where good intentions are not becoming results. 

As a former Treasurer, I raised concerns about the lack of a clear financial runway and pushed for stronger budgeting and regular financial planning. Through the Executive Committee, I have also participated in staff discussions, document reviews, difficult organisational decisions, and helped finalize the PSF’s long-delayed strategic planning process with the board.

My perspective is also strongly shaped by communities around the world. The work began from Asia and now includes PyLadiesCon, EuroPython, and regular discussions with global community leaders through the PSF Diversity and Inclusion Workgroup. Global representation at the PSF has improved, but it still remains incomplete.

I would bring institutional knowledge, experience in financial oversight and a global community perspective. And yes, I am willing to do the unglamorous work. 

I know more now than when I joined. I know what I am signing up for and how much work remains.

What motivated you to run for the PSF Board of Directors?

I am running because the past three years have shown me much more clearly what the PSF needs next. I’ve seen where the Foundation works well. I’ve also seen outdated financial assumptions, limited organisational capacity, unclear responsibilities, and decisions that could not be implemented because the necessary systems or that expertise were missing.

These are not exciting campaign topics but unfortunately, they matter.

Python is now part of the world’s infrastructure. Companies, governments, researchers, schools, and millions of developers depend on it. The organisation responsible for protecting Python must be able to plan beyond the next conference or sponsorship cycle.

I would like to continue helping the PSF build a more realistic base, improve its financial planning, strengthen its internal systems, and communicate more honestly with the community.

The next few years matter. That is why I am running again.

What problem or challenge do you want to address if you are on the Board?

The problem I most want to address is the PSF’s financial sustainability.

For years, PyCon US was a reliable source of income for the Foundation. After COVID, the economics and risks of large conferences changed. PyCon US should remain an important community event, but one conference should not be expected to carry the financial future of the organisation protecting Python.

The PSF needs realistic budgets and financial projections. The Board needs to understand the Foundation’s runway, commitments, risks, and future operating costs. Hope is useful in open source but less useful in accounting.

We also need to build sponsorship around Python itself. Companies benefit from Python every day, not only when their logo appears at a conference. Their support should help fund Python’s infrastructure, security, legal protection, trademarks, and global community.

This requires a serious review of the PSF’s business model. It also requires the right staff capacity and expertise to turn Board decisions into results.

I would like the PSF to professionalise the support around the community without professionalising the community out of Python. That distinction really matters. Volunteers and local organisers are not a cheap workforce. They are the reason Python has a community in the first place. 

Where do you see the PSF 5 years from now?

In five years, I would like to see the PSF be an organisation that plans with evidence instead of habit.

The PSF should be better equipped to protect Python’s trademarks, copyright, infrastructure, and identity. As Python becomes more important, this will require greater legal, financial, security, and organisational expertise. Goodwill alone cannot do all that work.

It should have a clear financial runway, realistic budgets, and dependable sources of income. PyCon US should continue bringing people together, but its financial performance should not decide whether the Foundation can support Python properly.

I would also like a more transparent PSF. The community should understand what the Board is working on, what the Foundation can afford, why major decisions were made, and what progress followed. 

Finally, the PSF should remain global and human. It should develop new leaders, support communities outside North America and Europe, and recognise capable people who may not be famous conference speakers. In fact, the board should consider reserving a few board seats for appointed directors with expertise that the Foundation needs.

The PSF should become more professional in how it operates without becoming corporate in how it treats people. Python’s community is not a side project. It is one of its greatest strengths and part of its unique model. 

What areas of the Python community are you involved with?

I have served on the PSF Board since 2023, including as Treasurer and currently as Vice Chair.

I currently chair the PSF Diversity and Inclusion Workgroup. I am also one of the organisers of PyLadiesCon and a member of the EuroPython Code of Conduct team. My earlier involvement included PyCon Thailand, PyCon APAC, founding PyLadies Bangkok, and other regional communities. I am also involved with the podcast PyPodcats featuring underrepresented Pythonistas.

Apart from that, I am developing Open Community Leadership through the fellowship with the Sovereign Tech Agency. The project focuses on mentorship, succession planning, sustainability, and helping communities prepare their next generation of leaders.

 ------

Note from the election administrators: 

Want to learn more about this candidate? Check out their nomination statement.